Dr. David Shaw holds degrees from the Berklee College of Music in both audio engineering and music synthesis, from the Peabody Conservatory of Johns Hopkins University in computer music composition (computer science/composition) and from the University of Northern Colorado in theory, composition, and history.
Prior to teaching at MCC, Shaw was on the faculty of the State University of New York at Oneonta, where he directed the recording studios and jazz ensemble and taught courses in audio engineering and music technology. He also taught theory and composition at the University of Northern Colorado and was a Design Engineer for Applied Research and Technology (A. R. T. Electronics), where he designed signal-processing algorithms for their current line of digital sound processors. He presently beta tests their products and serves on their New Product Development Board.
Shaw has composed and produced for film, television and multimedia, with clients such as Apple Computer, the Smithsonian, and the Cousteau Society, to name a few. Shaw’s live works have been performed throughout the United States, Canada, Europe, Russia, and Australia.
PUBLISHED WORKS (ABRIDGED)
Movie / TV / Multimedia
- PBS Special: People in Motion, hosted by Itzhak Perlman, Thirteen/WNET, New York
- The National Postal Museum, The Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC
- Road to Park City, Vanguard Cinema, 2001
- What If?, George Washington University, Washington, DC
- Cousteau’s Cities Under the Sea: Coral Reefs, Cousteau Productions, ISBN 1-887233-01-6
- Earth Explorer, Apple Computer, Inc.
- Alistair and the Alien Invasion, Simon & Schuster, ISBN 0-671-51077-0
- The Enchanted Tarot, Enteractive, ISBN 1-887233-05-9
- The Alchemist, Enteractive, ISBN 1-887233-02-4
- Stomped on Fairy Tales: Pigs, Enteractive, ISBN 1-887233-03-2
- Numerous CD credits as performer, composer, producer, and engineer
- Studio Productions, Berklee College of Music, Berklee Music Press, Boston, MA
- Studio Productions II, Berklee College of Music, Berklee Music Press, Boston, MA
- The Laughing Game, Light Motion Dance Company, Seattle, Washington
- Heaven and Earth, Light Motion Dance Company, Seattle, Washington
- Sudden Rise, Light Motion Dance Company, Seattle, Washington
- Freddie Hubbard: Transcribed, Hal Leonard, Milwaukee, WI
- Composition and Analysis of Symphony No. 1 by David Shaw, and Analysis of Symphony No. 5 by Peter Mennin, Greeley, CO
Additional Published Copyrights:
PAu-1-329-097, PAu-1-329-113, PAu-1-329-119, PAu-1-336-019, PAu-1-336-020, PAu-1-336-026, PAu-1-395-725, PAu-1-395-726, PAu-1-425-914, PAu-1-426-758, PAu-1-477-863, PAu-1-555-371, PAu-1-633-404, PAu-1-637-501, PAu-1-637-633, TX-5-936-737